Emergent Church

Well i started writing this blog about an hour ago... i was writing it about the emerging/ emergent church. I was about half way through it, and i deleted it all. I don't think there is a need for me to ramble on about how it and it's leaders make me angry, there are more important issues out there.


I think what i would like to talk about today instead is something that i heard Piper say in a sermon the other day. He was talking about how believed that we should not be teaching our children to love God, but that first we should be teaching them to trust him. He said this was important because we cannot love unconditionally. We will screw up and fall down, and there will be a time where we don't love God. So if we are taught from a young age that the most important thing we do is just to love God, what happens when we don't? 

We as humans tend to not feel loved when we aren't loving others. If I stop loving you, i feel like you have stopped loving me. If we let our kids grow up thinking that all they need to do is love God, and never teach them to trust God first, then as soon as they are having a bad day, and just aren't thinking about the things of God... It can all come crashing down. Learning to trust God first allows them to know that He is there, and that all things happen for good for those who are called according to his purpose (romans 8:28).  They may not understand why they don't feel loved, or why they feel like the world is against them, but if they trust in the Lord they will know that He is still there.

I thought that was a pretty super dooper statement, I don't have any kids obviously, (cept for my cat) but i'm glad i learned this now, because that is what i will teach my kids.





1 comments:

Gandalf said...

My young Dunedain, that is an important distinction...don't try to teach it to your cat. -Gandalf